Dear Professor Blackstone

I am Jerome Tay, and this is my introduction letter. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in information technology (solutions development) in 2015. I have decided to take on the engineering path after the completion of my diploma as I wanted something more practical, hands on and ultimately, to be able to contribute back to the society with a greater impact. Thus, I have chosen to pursue a degree in sustainable infrastructure engineering (land) in Singapore Institute of Technology.

Strengths
My strengths are analyzing and understanding messages, and being a good listener.
Firstly, I am able to analyse and understand messages that are being delivered. It is a skill that I believe it is of utmost importance, as messages are part of our everyday lives and may come in different forms.
Secondly, I am also a good listener, as I strongly believe that one would not be able to truly understand the message of the other party unless one is a good listener, let alone be someone who is giving advice.

Weaknesses
My weaknesses are public speaking and my command of English Language.
Firstly, when it comes to public speaking, especially to strangers or large crowds I will tend to get very nervous. Though I have some experience in speaking to large groups of people before, I still do feel very nervous when it is required of me to speak to large groups of people, especially those with authority. This often results me in either stuttering or speaking too fast, and more often than not mispronouncing words, which could be quite embarrassing.
Secondly, I am not very confident on my command of English language. Therefore, there are times where I do have difficulty understanding certain words. In those situations I have to refer to the dictionary.

Goals for the module
My goals for this module are, to become a confident speaker. In time to come, there would definitely be a time where I have to be at the front and present or speak to the public. I would also like to improve on my command in English language, as it is inevitable that someday I will be tasked to work on various aspects such as meeting minutes, writing papers or letters. In fact, I am grateful that this module is part of my university course.

Regards
Jerome Tay
SIE 2017, Group 5

Read and commented on:
-Joel Leow
-Ho Yong Quan
-James Ong

Edited 011017, 1027hrs.

Comments

  1. Dear Jerome,

    Thank you for this good formal letter. You present a fairly clear and concise portrait of your background. You are also specific in terms of the explanation you give for your communication strengths and weaknesses, and your goals, especially those specific to spoken communication, are clear enough. You also mention English language. We can get started on addressing that right away.

    In terms of language use, here are a number of issues to consider:

    1) My strengths are, firstly, being able to analyse and understand messages are being delivered. >>> (sentence structure) ?
    2) This is a skill that I believe it is important ... (sentence structure) ?
    3) ... it always gets me.... >>> (use of idiomatic expression) ?
    4) Therefore, there are times where I do have difficulty understanding certain words which I have to refer to the dictionary. >>> (phrasing)
    Therefore, there are times where I do have difficulty understanding certain words. In those situations I have to refer to the dictionary.
    5) My goals for this module is to become a confident speaker. >>> (subject-verb disagreement)
    ?
    6) I would also want to improve my command in English language, as it is inevitable that someday I would be required to work.... >>> (verb tense)

    I appreciate the effort here.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone

      Thank you for the comment and the areas for improvement. I will work on it.

      Regards
      Jerome Tay

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reader's response draft 3

Reader's response draft 1